Code of Conduct and Ethics
Updated Friday January 4, 2019 by the SOAR Committee.
The following codes of Conduct & Ethics have been adopted by the SOAR committee of First Presbyterian Church, Stanley. This committee provides oversight and direction for the Sports Ministry. We are dedicated to providing a high-quality program that ensures safety and promotes a healthy environment for everyone involved. It is imperative that you read and become familiar with this information.
Sports Ministry Volunteer:
- I will be aware that I have a tremendous influence, either for good or ill, on the education of the athlete and, thus, shall never place the value of winning above the value of instilling Christian character.
- I will uphold the honor and dignity of my position. In all personal contact with athletes, officials, parents and other ministry volunteers, I shall strive to set a Christ-like example.
- I will understand the game rules and teach them to my team members.
- I shall exert my influence to enhance sportsmanship by spectators, both directly and by working closely with parents.
- I will respect and support game officials. I shall not indulge in conduct which would incite players or spectators against the officials. Public criticism of officials or players is unacceptable.
- I will avoid the use of alcohol and tobacco products when in contact with players.
- I will conduct myself in a professional manner that demonstrates a Christ-like attitude and actions to all parties.
- I will be knowledgeable and supportive of league rules and philosophy.
My child’s participation in the Youth Sports Ministry at First Presbyterian Church requires that I hereby pledge to provide positive support, care, and encouragement for my child by following this Parents' Code of Conduct & Ethics.
- I will treat others as I would like to be treated. (Matt 7:12)
- I will encourage good sportsmanship by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, and officials.
- I will place the emotional and physical well-being of my child ahead of a personal desire to win.
- I will insist that my child play in a safe and healthy environment.
- I will support coaches / officials decisions working with my child, in order to encourage a positive, enjoyable experience for all.
- I will remember that the game is for youth - not adults, and will do my best to make youth sports fun for my child.
- I will ask my child to treat other players, coaches, spectators, and officials, with respect regardless of race, sex, creed, or ability.
- I will remember that my child’s coach is a volunteer and support them in their responsibilities and in upholding the Sports Ministry Code of Conduct & Ethics.
I recognize that being a member of the community carries with it responsibilities and rewards, and that as an athlete in the community I must not only embrace those responsibilities, but also conduct myself both on and off the playing field or court in a way which exhibits respect for myself and others. I therefore resolve to conduct myself with dignity as an athlete and as a citizen of the community, recognizing and accepting that:
- I will accept accountability for my behavior and its outcomes.
- I will honor my obligations and promises.
- I will exercise self-control.
- I will be willing to be fair with others in my dealings on and off the playing field or court.
- I will play my best “as working for the Lord, not for men” (Col 3:23), understanding that my athletic ability is a gift from God.
- I will respect the efforts of others and avoid demeaning another person or group.
- I will respect authority.
- I will play by the spirit, not just the letter, of the rules of the game and the rules of life.
- I will strive to make my community better because of my contributions as a member — whether that is the team on which I play or the community in which I live.